[Numpy-discussion] Efficient orthogonalisation with scipy/numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:43:25 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 15:29, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Column stack the bunch so that the last column is y, then do a qr
> decomposition. The last column of q is the (normalized) orthogonal vector
> and its amplitude is the last (bottom right) component of r.

Is the order actually guaranteed? In a quick test, it seems to work.

In any case, I suspect that needing to do both x and y will make doing
the QR once and some two pairs of dot products a better proposition
than two QR decompositons.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."