[Numpy-discussion] Efficient orthogonalisation with scipy/numpy

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:08:46 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Column stack the bunch so that the last column is y, then do a qr
>> > decomposition. The last column of q is the (normalized) orthogonal
>> > vector
>> > and its amplitude is the last (bottom right) component of r.
>>
>> do you have to do qr twice, once with x and once with y in the last
>> column or can this be combined?
>>
>> I was trying to do something similar for partial autocorrelation for
>> timeseries but didn't manage or try anything better than repeated
>> leastsq or a variant.
>>

> Depends on what you want to do. The QR decomposition is essentially
> Gram-Schmidt on the columns. So if you just want an orthonormal basis for
> the subspace spanned by a bunch of columns, the columns of Q are they. To
> get the part of y orthogonal to that subspace you can do y - Q*Q.T*y, which
> is probably what you want if the x's are fixed and the y's vary. If there is
> just one y, then putting it as the last column lets the QR algorithm do that
> last bit of projection.

Gram-Schmidt (looking at it for the first time) looks a lot like
sequential least squares projection. So, I'm trying to figure out if I
can use the partial results up to a specific column as partial least
squares and then work my way to the end by including/looking at more
columns.

But unfortunately I don't have time to play with it long enough to
figure out whether and how it works, but I keep this in mind for the
future.

Thanks,

Josef