[Numpy-discussion] numpy.test(): invalid value encountered in {isinf, divide, power, ...}

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:06:24 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:03 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav+sp at iki.fi<pav%2Bsp at iki.fi>>
> wrote:
> > Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:57:01 -0500, Darren Dale wrote:
> > [clip]
> >> Warning: invalid value encountered in isinf Warning: invalid value
> >> encountered in isfinite
> > [clip]
> >
> > This is because of changed seterr() default values.
> >
> > IMHO, the 'print' default is slightly worse than the previous 'ignore'.
> > Personally, I don't see great value in the "invalid value encountered"
> > reports that are appear every time a nan is generated...
>
> I thought it was agreed that the default would be changed to warnings
> for 1.5.0 ?

It was. Well, it was agreed that the change shouldn't be made in 1.4 anyway.
I'm starting to have second thoughts also. Not so much because of the
messages emitted by the tests, but because I suspect a lot of users will be
shocked, shocked, when their old applications fill the screen with messages.
Easily fixed, but still...

Chuck