[Numpy-discussion] Fixing numpy 1.4.0 ABI breakage, and a plea for self-contained, small commits

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Wed Jan 27 00:02:49 EST 2010

Charles R Harris wrote:

> Whatever we do, it would be good to figure out some way to avoid this
> problem in the future. We could hide access to the array, for instance.
> But again, that would require a lot of other code mods. Hmm...

That's something that we have to do at some point if we care about ABI
(I think we should care - expecting people to recompile all the
extensions for a new version of numpy is a big hindrance).

Assuming python 1.5 will have py3k support, I was wondering about
starting working on NumPy 2.0, with massive changes to the C API so that
we can avoid this problem in the future: no more "naked" structures,
much cleaner/leaner headers to avoid accidental reliance on specific
private binary layouts, etc...

David