[Numpy-discussion] glumpy, fast opengl visualization

Gregor Thalhammer gregor.thalhammer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:57:57 EST 2010

2010/1/25 Nicolas Rougier <Nicolas.Rougier at loria.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> This is an update about glumpy, a fast-OpenGL based numpy visualization.
> I modified the code such that the only dependencies are PyOpenGL and
> IPython (for interactive sessions). You will also need matplotlib and
> scipy for some demos.
>
> Sources: hg clone http://glumpy.googlecode.com/hg/ glumpy
> No installation required, you can run all demos inplace.
>
> Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/glumpy/

Hi Nicolas,

thank you for providing glumpy. I started using it for my own project.
The previous, pyglet based version of glumpy worked flawlessly on my
system (WinXP). I want to report about problems with the latest
version.
1.) On Windows glumpy fails on importing the Python termios module,
since it is for Unix platforms only.
2.) Resolving this, the demos start, but are mostly not usable, since
mouse scroll events and passive mouse motions events are not created.
This might be a problem of the glut implementation on Windows (I am
using PyOpenGL 3.0.1b2). Who knows?
3.) On OpenSuse11.1 the demos fail at 'glCreateProgram'. The demos
used to work with the previous version. I use the Intel Q45 graphics
chipset.

In the future I might spend some time on this problems and I would
like to contribute to glumpy, even if it's only testing on platforms
available to me.

Gregor