[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] Bento (ex-toydist) 0.0.3

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:08:09 EDT 2010

Hi,

> Can you copyright a word ? I thought this was the trademark part of
> the law. For example, "linux" is a trademark owned by Linus Torvald.
> Also, well known packages use words which are at least as common as
> bento in English (sphinx, twisted, etc...), and as likely to be
> trademarked.

I got ripely panned for doing this before, but...

If you have a look at - to reduce controversy - :

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschool/fisher/domain/tm.htm#7

you'll see a summary of the criteria used.   I read this stuff as
meaning that,  if you're doing something that has a low 'likelihood of
confusion' with the other guy / gal doing 'Bento', and the other
'Bento' trademark is not 'famous', you're probably, but not certainly,
safe from successful prosecution.

See you,

Matthew