[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.5 for Python 2.7 and 3.1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 12:14:16 EDT 2010

Hi Christoph,

Sorry for the slow reply. This looks quite good!

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:

> Dear NumPy developers,
>
> at <http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1520> I have posted a patch
> against numpy svn trunk r8464 that:
>
> 1) removes the datetime functionality

2) restores ABI compatibility with numpy 1.4.1

3) enables numpy to build and run on Python 2.7 and 3.1 (at least on
> Windows)
>
> Tested on OS X, there with python 2.6 and 2.7 all is well. With 3.1 it
compiles fine but doesn't import, not sure why (I'm of course not actually
in the source tree with the interpreter):

Python 3.1.2 (r312:79360M, Mar 24 2010, 01:33:18)
>>> import numpy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/rgommers/Code/numpy/numpy/__init__.py", line 122, in <module>
    from numpy.__config__ import show as show_config
ImportError: No module named __config__

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Users/rgommers/Code/numpy/numpy/__init__.py", line 127, in <module>
    raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError: Error importing numpy: you should not try to import numpy from
        its source directory; please exit the numpy source tree, and
relaunch
        your python intepreter from there.

> I hope this work can be used to get a numpy 1.5.x branch started.

I hope so too. Probably someone familiar with the datetime changes should
confirm that no trace of it is left.

Cheers,
Ralf