[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Lluís xscript at gmx.net
Wed Jul 7 13:08:51 EDT 2010

Bruce Southey writes:
> 4) How should this interact with the rest of numpy?

BTW, now I rememberd something I wanted to implement but required too much
monkeypatching right now.

For all functions accepting the 'axis' argument, I'd like to provide a string
that uniquely identifies a dimension/axis, instead of an integer.

In my case, I'd like to provide the name of any of the variables on the
dimension, such that if I have a dimension where metadata ticks are built like
'param1-param2', I'd like to:

   data.mean(axis='param1')

Such that I could calculate the mean along that dimension/axis, whatever it is.

Read you,
     Lluis

 Tollbooth