[Numpy-discussion] A release for python 2.7?

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Fri Jul 9 11:27:03 EDT 2010

On 7/9/2010 7:11 AM, Peter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Jon Wright<wright at esrf.fr>  wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It seems that python 2.7 has been released, but the current numpy
>> download on sourceforge (1.4.1) segfaults for me using mingw on windows.
>> This seems to be fixed in trunk. Is a new release planned in the near
>> future?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jon
>
> Hi,
>
> I was going to ask if someone could build Windows installers for
> NumPy 1.4.1 on Python 2.7 (to facilitate 3rd party packages which
> use NumPy and want to support Python 2.7 on Windows).

To build numpy 1.4.1 for Python 2.7 you need at least to apply changeset
7926 [1] and followups. Releasing 3rd party extensions compiled against
this version of numpy is not a good idea because those binaries will
likely be incompatible with any later official release of numpy for
Python 2.7, which will use PyCapsule instead of PyCObject [2].

[1] http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/changeset/7926
[2] http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2010-June/051239.html

--
Christoph