[Numpy-discussion] HOWTO build NumPy without external math libs

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 14 02:25:20 EDT 2010

On 07/13/2010 04:05 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>> I don't believe that there are any such options, but is there a particular
>>> reason why you *don't* want to use such external libs if you have them?  I
>>> don't think anyone has considered a use-case where one would want to ignore
>>> such libraries.
>>>
>> Building redistributable binaries.
>>
> indeed -- and it is quite possible.
>
> It looks like things have changed since I last did it, but take a look
> at setup.cfg.example, you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks, I will look and try.

It would be great if such an option could be added; I'm sure I'm not the
only one who wants this. (And, just to confirm: I'm indeed attempting to
"cross-compile", in the sense that I build the package on one machine,
then distribute it onto a set of hosts, which don't all look equal, but
equal enough as to allow me to reuse the compiled NumPy package, as long
as it doesn't depend on the particular linalg libs that happen to be
installed on the build machine.

Thanks,
         Stefan