[Numpy-discussion] numpy for Python 3?

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:34:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 06:15, Vincent Schut <schut at sarvision.nl> wrote:

> On 07/19/2010 02:56 PM, Richard D. Moores wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:28, Vincent Schut<schut at sarvision.nl>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, you might want to read up on some beginners guide for python? It's
>>> up to you, of course, but usually before starting with numpy (which
>>> extends python), it is advised to have at least some basic python
>>> understanding... Googling will give you plenty of good resources, if
>>> you'd like to.
>>
>> I'm not a python beginner. Why did you assume I was?
>
> I appologize, then. This, however, made me think you were:
> 'Now what? "Try simple commands"? Like "Lemme outta here!"?'
> Now english is not my native language, so some subtle humour might have
> escaped me and I may have understood that entirely wrong... :-)

Oh, that's OK. But it's otherwise hard to believe English is not your
native language.

>>> Then, for the sake of helping you further anyway:
>>> you'll have to mind the significance of paths (=directories or folders
>>> in windows speak I think). The folder you're currently in, will restrict
>>> what you find when typing commands. If you need to reference something
>>> from a different folder, you'll need to explicitly specify that.
>>
>> Yes, I have that understanding.
> Good.
> The fact that you were starting python from the Python31 folder, and
> then typed 'now what?' gave me the idea you did not...
>>
>>> To build numpy, you'll need to be in the numpy source folder (the numpy
>>> you extracted from svn). But if you're there, simply typing 'python' or
>>> 'python.exe' will probably not work because 'python.exe' is in a
>>> different folder (c:\Python31). You could go into that folder, but then
>>> you would not be able to find numpy's setup.py script. Best way to solve
>>> that: make sure you're in the numpy folder, and type something like:
>>> 'c:\Python31\python.exe setup.py build'. That should get you started at
>>> least.
>>>
>>> However, if I'm allowed to give you some unaskedfor advice: this might
>>> become lots easier if you make sure you're at least a bit comfortable
>>> with 1) the windows command prompt, 2) python, and 3) building python
>>> stuff from svn source checkouts. No offence meant. But you sound as you
>>> feel a lot more comfortable with pre-built packages compared to building
>>> yourself from source on windows...
>>
>> No, I fail your number 3.
>
> Well, than you've come along quite far already, and are on the right
> list :-)
> Then, please post the output of your 'python setup.py build' command,
> which will give us some clues about *why* you fail... (or, if the output
> is long, try to find the relevant lines indicating where and what goes
> wrong)

I posted the output as an attached text file in my reply to Dave. Not
sure that got to the list as I'm not familiar with the list's rules
about attachments.

>> Thanks, Vincent. And I am more comfortable with pre-built packages.
> Most of us are ;-) But sometimes you just need to bite the bullet...

I'm biting, I'm biting (that's another kind of U.S. joking). Actually,
several years ago I was using Ulipad, an IDE for Python. It was under
active development and frequently updated via svn. So I had and used
TortoiseSVN then, but on an old computer.  So I'm starting over
getting the details of how to use it back.

Dick