[Numpy-discussion] numpy for Python 3?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:31:02 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:17, Richard D. Moores <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:00, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Would Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition have the C compiler? I know
>>> some visual basic and wouldn't mine having this limited version of
>>> 2008.
>>
>> You need Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition. Visual Basic 2008 Express
>> Edition is just a component of Visual Studio and does not have the C
>> compiler. Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition is probably sufficient,
>
> You mean it probably has the C compiler.

It definitely has the C compiler. That is *probably* sufficient for
compiling Python extensions, but I am not sure.

> If it does, I'd just as soon
> not install any more of VS. And if it does, does that mean that the
> setup.py in question would find it?

Probably. If you try it, but setup.py still tells you "error: Unable
to find vcvarsall.bat", then you may need to find where the file
vcvarsall.bat is in your VS-C++ installation and add it to your %PATH%
environment variable. Then start a new command shell and try the
setup.py again.

>> but
>> I recommend getting the whole Visual Studio if you can afford the time
>> and disk space.
>
> Because you think VS is a good application -- quite apart from its
> being a source of a C compiler?

No, because it is most likely to work the first time.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco