[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.4.1 fails to build on (Debian) alpha and powepc

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Mon Jul 19 14:44:57 EDT 2010

Hi David,
thanks for your reply!

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:10, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I finally found the time to update numpy in Debian. But, there is a problem...
>>
>> As you probably know, we support several architectures and we need to
>> have any package available on each of them. After the upload I noticed
>> numpy has problem building on alpha [1] (ieee754.c compilation error,
>> probably related to the conversion from .src) and powerpc [2]
>> (long_double identification)
>
> The alpha issue should be easy to fix: it is just a code path which
> has never been tested so far, but the code is there.

ah if you say so, I trust you :)

> The ppc one is more annoying, and known. The problem is that linux on
> ppc uses the IBM format for long double (sum of two double), which
> requires to implement non trivial, heavily platform dependent code. I
> have just added code to correctly detect the long double format at the
> configure stage.

yes, I see it at r8510

> Do you have shell access to the machines ? It would makes the work
> much easier for me to fix those issues,

Yes, as a Debian developer I have access to a porterbox of any
architecture we support, so I can do any test/recompilation and so you
want. I can understand that using me as a proxy might be a little bit
tedious and slow, so if you prefer to have direct access I have to ask
for it, but it might be refused (I'm not sure), and/or only be
temporary.

Just let me know: I'm fully available for you.

Regards,