[Numpy-discussion] Datarray BoF, part2

Rob Speer rspeer at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 21 17:32:45 EDT 2010

I agree with the idea that axis labels must be strings.

Yes, this is the opposite of my position on tick labels ("names"), but
there's a reason: ticks are often defined by whatever data you happen
to be working with, but axis labels will in the vast majority of
situations be defined by the programmer as they're writing the code.
If the programmer wants to name something, they'll certainly be able
to do so with a string.

-- Rob