[Numpy-discussion] summarizing blocks of an array using a moving window

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Thu Jul 22 04:23:35 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 06:47 AM, Robin Kraft wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The short version: For a given NxN array, is there an efficient way to use a moving window to collect a summary statistic on a chunk of the array, and insert it into another array?

Hi Robin,

been wrestling with similar stuff myself, though I have no obvious
answer... A lot depends on your data and the stats you want.

Some thoughts:

- though you want non-overlapping stats, you could take a look at
scipy.ndimage. Lots of this is coded in C, and though it does
overlapping moving window stats, its speed might outweigh the stuff you
have to do otherwise to 'tile' your array. You would then just slice the
result of the ndimage operation (e.g. [::2, ::2] or similar).
- an other option would be some smart reshaping, which finally gives you
a [y//2, x//2, 2, 2] array, which you could then reduce to calculate
stats (mean, std, etc) on the last two axes.  I *think* you'd have to
first reshape both x and y axes, and then reposition the axes. An example:
a = gdal_array.BandReadAsArray(blabla)
y,x = a.shape #y and x need be divideable by 2!
b = a.reshape(y/2, 2, x/2, x).transpose(0,2,1,3).reshape(y/2, x/2, 4)
bMean = b.mean(axis=-1)
bMax = ......etc.
- a third option would be to create an index array, which has a unique
value per 2x2 square, and then use histogram2d. This would, if you use
its 'weight' functionality, at least enable you to get efficient counts
and sums/means. Other stats might be hard, though.

Good luck!
Vincent Schut.