[Numpy-discussion] Numpy installation problem

Jonathan Tu jhtu at princeton.edu
Sat Jul 24 18:00:24 EDT 2010

> If you install shared libraries into a directory which is not looked
> in by default by ld, you should add it to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, e.g.:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH python -c "import numpy"
>
> David

Ok, that makes sense to me.  I tried to see what the current value is by doing
	echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
but it told me that the this is an "Undefined variable."  That seems strange to me.  I am running on a RHEL4 cluster with a C-shell.  I tried to do
	setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /home/jhtu/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
and of course got the same error about an undefined variable.

I'm not sure what this means.