[Numpy-discussion] 1.5 release schedule proposal

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Jul 27 12:30:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

>>> Seems OK. I don't remember any big changes that would still be needed.
>>>
>>> One low-hanging fruit to fix could be np.fromfile raising MemoryError
>>> when it encounters EOF, and other bugs in that part of the code.
>>>

>> Another "low-hanging fruit" although I don't think a ticket was made for
>> this was the issue I raised a few weeks ago regarding numpy.loadtxt().
>> Quick summary: if someone has been using np.loadtxt for reading multi-line
>> and multi-column text files (thereby getting a 2-D array), and then when
>> they encounter a single-line multi-column file, they get a 1-D array due to
>> the squeeze() function.  Also, zero-length files throw exceptions (but I am
>> not completely worried about this right now).
>>
>> While this isn't an easy thing to fix without breaking compatibility, I
>> still think that adding a keyword "mindims" to specify the minimum number of
>> dimensions to return would 1) address the issue at hand, and 2) raise
>> awareness of the issue among users by having documentation for the mindims
>> keyword.  To maintain backwards compatibility, we can set it to zero by
>> default.
>>

> Please open a ticket for this, it will probably get lost otherwise. Since
> you describe a solution, ideally attach patch with test and start a new
> thread for it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

Done, it is ticket 1562: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1562
Note, there is no patch yet because I have not come up with an elegant way
of doing it.

Also, in the process of putting together that ticket, I discovered two more
bugs related to atleast_?d() functions.  They are tickets 1559 and 1560,
both have patches.

Ben Root