[Numpy-discussion] Finding Star Images on a Photo (Video chip) Plate?

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 14:28:19 EDT 2010

One can also try to use photometry software like Daophot, it uses
MIDAS by ESO http://www.eso.org/sci/data-processing/software/esomidas//
, which everyone can download.

It seems that Daophot http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/daophot/ isn't
for free :-(, I never cared, since it's installed on our institute's
computers ....

Here is first a *very* introductory (german-language) page I used that time:
http://members.galev.org/rkotulla/mrmiller-stepbystep-daophot.php

If you want to know every gory detail about Daophot,
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/sirtf/daophot2.pdf is a good point to start.
 It's the reference docu by the author if I'm not mistaken.

I can give some little advice with using Daophot and MIDAS if you want
to.  My knowledge is that gained by a conscientous project in studies
during several monthes, where I analysed an open star cluster.  (With
cosmic rejection etc. pp. blah blah)

I would not recommend using a DIY approach, since the thing is in my
opinion quite cumbersome.

An approach used by Daophot to reject artifacts is to calculate
sharpness and roundedness parameters, see the Daophot docu above for
reference how it works.

Friedrich