[Numpy-discussion] "Dynamic convolution" in Numpy

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 04:44:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM, arthur de conihout
<arthurdeconihout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if i made myself very clear.
> if anyone has suggestions or has already operated a dynamic filtering i
> would be well interested.

Does fade-in/fade-out actually works ? I would have thought that it
had killed the properties of your filters ?

There are two issues:
 - how to do convolution fast
 - how to go from one filter to the other

The main issue with changing filters is that your system is not LTI
anymore. If your filters have finite impulse answer, I guess it should
not be too much of an issue. To do convolution quickly, you need to
use FFT, which is a bit tricky if you want to do things in real-time,
as you need to partition the impulse response. Using "partitioned
impulse answer" as keywords should give you plenty of references on
how to do it,

David