[Numpy-discussion] Installing numpy on py 3.1.2 , osx

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:58:58 EDT 2010

This is unexpected, from the error log:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/include/python3.1/
> Python.h:11:20: error: limits.h: No such file or directory

No good... it can't find basic system headers. Perhaps it's due to the
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable that was warned about
earlier? (I think I'd seen that sort of thing before... regardless of
whether you have the 10.4 SDK, if MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is 10.3 I
think it doesn't get used? Not sure.) Try setting
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.4:
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
(if you're using bash, the default OS X shell; for tcsh use "setenv
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4")

If this fixes things, I suspect that the build process should probably
give an error about MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET instead of a warning...

Zach