[Numpy-discussion] typo in docs

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 03:11:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>> another note:
>> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.indexing.html#arrays-indexing-rec
>> should not say "record array" - because recarray a "special" in that
>> they can even access the  named fields via attribute access rather
>> than using the dictionary-like syntax.
>
> Well, traditionally, any item of a structured array is called a record, so a ndarray w/ flexible dtype can also be called a record array... recarrays are just a particular case of structured (or record) arrays.

I understand this argument, I was mostly concerned about "newcomers",
who would lean to the understand "record array" and "recarray" as
synonyms.  A commentarial note in parenthesis could clarify this here.
Something like: "(Beyond this feature the special class
`recarray`(link to recarray page!) allows even to access columns by
attribute access)"

And on the recarray page one should also repeat what you just said,
i.e. that historical name conventions allow calling any ndarray with
flexible dtype a "record array"...

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase