[Numpy-discussion] NumPy re-factoring project

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:53:46 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Sebastien Binet <binet at cern.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:47:10 -0500, Jason McCampbell <jmccampbell at enthought.com> wrote:
>> > 4) Boost has some reference counted pointers, have you looked at them? C++
>> > is admittedly a very different animal for this sort of application.
>> >

>> There is also need to replace the usage of PyDict and other uses of CPython
>> for basic data structures that aren't present in C.  Having access to C++
>> for this and reference counting would be nice, but has the potential to
>> break builds for everyone who use the C API.  I think it's worth discussing
>> for the future but a bigger (and possibly more contentious) change than we
>> are able to take on for this project.
>
> for the dict part, a probably good enough replacement could be the hash
> table from:
>
> http://c-algorithms.sourceforge.net/

My long quest for a usable set of basic structures in C lead me to
basekit. It is BSD and the code is very simple, I like it very much:

http://github.com/stevedekorte/basekit

It is used in the IO programming language, which is in the same
ballpark as python (very dynamic ala smalltalk) and uses a GC, which
means the allocation strategy used in basekit is viable for VM which
do not depend on reference counting.

David