[Numpy-discussion] Tools / data structures for statistical analysis and related applications

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jun 11 14:51:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:57:37PM -0500, Bruce Southey wrote:
>  2. Do we really need to build custom data structures (larry, pandas,
>  tabular, etc.) or are structured ndarrays enough? (My conclusion is
>  that we do need to, but others might disagree). If so, how much
>  performance are we willing to trade for functionality?

For this purpose, I like Fernando's data array:
http://github.com/fperez/datarray
A very simple subclass of ndarrays that answers my most-wanted feature in
terms of richer data structures.

But, on the other hand, I have never really used R's advanced features,
so I may be missing something.

My 2 cents,

Gaël