[Numpy-discussion] NumPy re-factoring project

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Sun Jun 13 00:54:29 EDT 2010

Den 13.06.2010 05:47, skrev David Cournapeau:

> This only works in simple cases. What do you do when you don't know
> the output size ?

First: If you don't know, you don't know. Then you're screwed and C is
not going to help.

Second: If we cannot figure out how much to allocate before starting to
use C (very unlikely), we can always use a callback to Python. Or we can
have two C functions, the first determining the amount of allocation,
the second doing the computation.

>   How do you deal with reallocation ?

That is platform dependent. A buffer object could e.g. have a realloc
method.

> How do you deal
> with ufunc and broadcasting buffering without allocating in the
> library ?

We allocate whatever we need on the Python side, possibly with a
callback to Python if that's what we need.

Sturla