[Numpy-discussion] Tensor contraction

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 13:51:52 EDT 2010

2010/6/13 Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi>:
> def tensor_contraction_single(tensor, dimensions):
>    """Perform a single tensor contraction over the dimensions given"""
>    swap = [x for x in range(tensor.ndim)
>            if x not in dimensions] + list(dimensions)
>    x = tensor.transpose(swap)
>    for k in range(len(dimensions) - 1):
>        x = np.diagonal(x, axis1=-2, axis2=-1)
>    return x.sum(axis=-1)
>
> def _preserve_indices(indices, removed):
>    """Adjust values of indices after some items are removed"""
>    for r in reversed(sorted(removed)):
>        indices = [j if j <= r else j-1 for j in indices]
>    return indices
>
> def tensor_contraction(tensor, contractions):
>    """Perform several tensor contractions"""
>    while contractions:
>        dimensions = contractions.pop(0)
>        tensor = tensor_contraction_single(tensor, dimensions)
>        contractions = [_preserve_indices(c, dimensions)
>                        for c in contractions]
>    return tensor

Pauli,

I choke on your code for 10 min or so.  I believe there could be some
more comments.

Alan,

Do you really need multiple tensor contractions in one step?  If yes,
I'd like to put in my 2 cents in coding such one using a different
approach, doing all the contractions in one step (via broadcasting).
It's challenging.  We can generalise this problem as much as we want,
e.g. to contracting three instead of only two dimensions.  But first,
in case you have only two dimensions to contract at one single time
instance, then Josef's first suggestion would be fine I think.  Simply
push out the diagonal dimension to the end via .diagonal() and sum
over the last so created dimension.  E.g.:

# First we create some bogus array to play with:
>>> a = numpy.arange(5 ** 4).reshape(5, 5, 5, 5)

# Let's see how .diagonal() acts (just FYI, I haven't verified that it
is what we want):
>>> a.diagonal(axis1=0, axis2=3)
array([[[  0, 126, 252, 378, 504],
        [  5, 131, 257, 383, 509],
        [ 10, 136, 262, 388, 514],
        [ 15, 141, 267, 393, 519],
        [ 20, 146, 272, 398, 524]],

       [[ 25, 151, 277, 403, 529],
        [ 30, 156, 282, 408, 534],
        [ 35, 161, 287, 413, 539],
        [ 40, 166, 292, 418, 544],
        [ 45, 171, 297, 423, 549]],

       [[ 50, 176, 302, 428, 554],
        [ 55, 181, 307, 433, 559],
        [ 60, 186, 312, 438, 564],
        [ 65, 191, 317, 443, 569],
        [ 70, 196, 322, 448, 574]],

       [[ 75, 201, 327, 453, 579],
        [ 80, 206, 332, 458, 584],
        [ 85, 211, 337, 463, 589],
        [ 90, 216, 342, 468, 594],
        [ 95, 221, 347, 473, 599]],

       [[100, 226, 352, 478, 604],
        [105, 231, 357, 483, 609],
        [110, 236, 362, 488, 614],
        [115, 241, 367, 493, 619],
        [120, 246, 372, 498, 624]]])
# Here, you can see (obviously :-) that the last dimension is the
diagonal ... just believe in the semantics ....
>>> a.diagonal(axis1=0, axis2=3).shape
(5, 5, 5)

# Sum over the diagonal shape parameter:
# Again I didn't check this result's numbers.
>>> a.diagonal(axis1=0, axis2=3).sum(axis=-1)
array([[1260, 1285, 1310, 1335, 1360],
       [1385, 1410, 1435, 1460, 1485],
       [1510, 1535, 1560, 1585, 1610],
       [1635, 1660, 1685, 1710, 1735],
       [1760, 1785, 1810, 1835, 1860]])

The .diagonal() approach has the benefit that one doesn't have to care
about where the diagonal dimension ends up, it's always the last
dimension of the resulting array.  With my solution, this was not so
fine, because it could also become the first dimension of the
resulting array.

For the challenging part, I'll await your response first ...

Friedrich