[Numpy-discussion] reduce array by computing min/max every n samples

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sat Jun 19 16:37:15 EDT 2010

Brad, I think you are doing it the right way, but I think what is happening
is that the reshape() call on the sliced array is forcing a copy to be made
first.  The fact that the copy has to be made twice just worsens the issue.
I would save a copy of the reshape result (it is usually a view of the
original data, unless a copy is forced), and then perform a min/max call on
that with the appropriate axis.

On that note, would it be a bad idea to have a function that returns a
min/max tuple?  Performing two iterations to gather the min and the max
information versus a single iteration to gather both at the same time would
be useful.  I should note that there is a numpy.ptp() function that returns
the difference between the min and the max, but I don't see anything that
returns the actual values.

Ben Root