[Numpy-discussion] ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined symbol: NPY_COPY_PYOBJECT_PTR

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Mon Jun 21 14:03:44 EDT 2010

Hello David,
thanks for your reply.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 18:37, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm upgrading the Debian package for Numpy to 1.4.1.
>>
>> Compilation goes well, but when I install the package for test and
>> import numpy I got this traceback:
>
> Do you have numpy already installed ?

yes, I have the 1.3.1 version (coming from Debian pkgs) installed. But
do you mean at runtime or build-time. I built the package in a clean
chroot where only the dependencies and numpy source tarball were
present.

> Because debian splits the numpy
> package and installed the headers in /usr/include, which breaks the
> build of pretty much every python extension out there (as it causes a
> change in header inclusion).

If you feel this is wrong, we can evaluate to provide a sane solution.
AFAICS we do not split numpy packages (except for the debug extensions
and the documentation), and yes, we do add headers to
/usr/include/numpy : could you please explain why this is wrong?

> The missing symbol is a macro defined in our public header, and is
> relatively recent.

yeah, the strange fact is that:

$ grep NPY_COPY_PYOBJECT_PTR /usr/include/numpy/npy_cpu.h
    #define NPY_COPY_PYOBJECT_PTR(dst, src) (*((PyObject **)(dst)) =
*((PyObject **)(src)))
        #define NPY_COPY_PYOBJECT_PTR(dst, src) \
        #define NPY_COPY_PYOBJECT_PTR(dst, src) \

/me puzzled

Thanks in advance for the help,