[Numpy-discussion] numpy.random.poisson docs missing "Returns"

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 20:37:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM, David Goldsmith
> <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> completely
> the
> not
> temporarily

> >> It's missing in several functions and incorrect docstrings have to be
> >> corrected. Look at the log of e.g. pareto in the editor, the returns
> >> have never been added, unless you find any missing revisions that are
> >> not in the doc editor.
> >>
> >> Josef
> >
> > OK, I see it was promoted to "Needs review" very early in the first
> Marathon
> > - before the Standard had been finalized?  God help us: how many other
> numpy
> > docstrings are improperly at "Needs review" because of this?  Scheisse,
> > numpy may not be as close to Ready For Review as we thought...
>
> Is there a chance that some changes got lost?

(Almost) anything's possible... :-(

Well, here's what happened in the particular case of numpy's pareto:

The promotion to "Needs review" took place - interestingly - 2008-06-26
(yes, two years ago today), despite the lack of a Returns section; the
initial check-in of HOWTO_DOCUMENT.txt - which does specify that a Returns
section be included (when applicable) - was one week before, 2008-06-19.
So, it's not that surprising that this slipped through the cracks.

Pauli (or anyone): is there a way to search the Wiki, e.g., using a SQL-like
query, for docstrings that saw a change in status before a date, or between
two dates?

Thanks!

DG

> I thought I had edited random.pareto to note that it is actually Lomax
> or Pareto II. But I'm not completely sure I actually did it, and not
> just intended to do it. I don't see any record in the doc editor, so
> maybe I never did edit it.
>
> Josef
>

> > DG

by Robert Graves)