[Numpy-discussion] Decorator to access intermediate results in a function/algorithm

Pietro Berkes berkes at brandeis.edu
Mon Jun 28 13:29:23 EDT 2010

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the feedback.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe at stsci.edu> wrote:
> What are the implications of this with respect to memory usage?  When
> working with large arrays, if the intermediate values of a number of
> functions are kept around (whether we want to access them or not) could
> this not lead to excessive memory usage?  Maybe this behavior should
> only apply when (as you suggest in the counterexample) a "locals=True"
> kwarg is passed in.

I've been thinking about it, but I haven't decided for a final
implementation yet. I find it a bit messy to add a new kwarg to the
signature of an existing function, as it might conflict with an
existing *args argument.
For example, redefining
f(x, *args)
as
f(x, locals=True, *args)
would break code calling f as
f(1, 2, 3) .

There are several alternatives:
1) add to the wrapping class a property to switch on and on the
behavior of the decorator
2) introduce a naming convention (e.g., variables whose name begins
with '_' are not saved)
3) have an option to dump the local variables to a file

The solution I prefer so far is the second, but since I never had the
problem in my code so far I'm not sure which option is most useful in
practice.

> It seems like a lot of the maintainability issues raised in the
> counterexample could be solved by returning a dictionary or a bunch [1]
> instead of a tuple -- though that still (without care on the part of the
> user) has the "keeping around references too much stuff" problem.
>
> [1]
> http://code.activestate.com/recipes/52308-the-simple-but-handy-collector-of-a-bunch-of-named/

It's true that the counter-example is slightly unrealistic, although I
have seen similar bits of code in real-life examples. Using a
decorator is an advantage when dealing with code defined in a
third-party library.

Pietro