[Numpy-discussion] Building Numpy Windows Superpack

Patrick Marsh patrickmarshwx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:22:47 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Patrick Marsh <patrickmarshwx at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Okay, I'm about out of ideas.  Hopefully someone on here has an idea as
> > what might be going on.
> > 1.  I am still unable to build the windows superpack using pavement.py,
> even
> > after making sure I have all the necessary dependencies.  However, the
> good
> > news is that pavement.py now recognizes where the Atlas binaries David
> > provided are located.  The output from "paver bdist_wininst" is located
> > here http://patricktmarsh.com/numpy/20100302.paveout.txt.
>
> That's a bug in the pavement script - on windows 7, some env variables
> are necessary to run python correctly, which were not necessary for
> windows < 7. I will fix this.

Thanks!

> > 2.  Since I couldn't get pavement.py to work, I decided to try and build
> > Numpy with sse3 support using "python25 setup.py build -c mingw32
> > bdist_wininst > buildout.txt".  (Note, I've also done this for building
> with
> > Python 2.6.)
>
> You should make sure that you are testing the numpy you think you are
> testing, and always, always remove the previous installed version. The
> matrix error is most likely due to some stalled files from a previous
> install
>
> David

Okay, I had been removing the build and dist directories but didn't realize
I needed to remove the numpy directory in the site-packages directory.
 Deleting this last directory fixed the "matrix" issues and I'm now left
with the two failures.  The latter failure doesn't seem to really be an
issue to me and the first one is the same error that Ralf posted earlier -
so for Python 2.5, I've got it working.  However, Python 2.6.4 still freezes
on the test suite.  I'll have to look more into this today, but for
reference, has anyone successfully built Numpy from the 1.4.x branch, on
Windows 7, using Python 2.6.4?  I'm going to attempt to get my hands on a
Windows XP box today and try to build it there, but I don't know when/if
I'll be able to get the XP box.

Thanks for the help

FAIL: test_special_values (test_umath_complex.TestClog)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\core\tests\test_umath_complex.py", line
179, in test_special_values
    assert_almost_equal(np.log(x), y)
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py", line 437, in
assert_almost_equal
    "DESIRED: %s\n" % (str(actual), str(desired)))
AssertionError: Items are not equal:
ACTUAL: [ NaN+2.35619449j]
DESIRED: (1.#INF+2.35619449019j)

FAIL: test_doctests (test_polynomial.TestDocs)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\tests\test_polynomial.py",
line 90, in test_doctests
    return rundocs()
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\testing\utils.py", line 953, in
rundocs
    raise AssertionError("Some doctests failed:\n%s" % "\n".join(msg))
AssertionError: Some doctests failed:
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\tests\test_polynomial.py",
line 20, in test_polynomial
Failed example:
    print poly1d([100e-90, 1.234567e-9j+3, -1234.999e8])
Expected:
           2
    1e-88 x + (3 + 1.235e-09j) x - 1.235e+11
Got:
            2
    1e-088 x + (3 + 1.235e-009j) x - 1.235e+011

Ran 2334 tests in 10.175s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=7, SKIP=1, failures=2)

Patrick
--
Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / NSSL Liaison to the HWT