[Numpy-discussion] how to efficiently build an array of x, y, z points

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 3 16:22:42 EST 2010

Bruce Southey wrote:
> Christopher Barker provided some code last last year on appending
> ndarrays eg:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2009-November/046634.html

yup, I"d love someone else to pick that up and test/improve it.

Anyway, that code only handles 1-d arrays, though that can be structured
arrays. I"d like to extend it to handlw n-d arrays, though you could
only grow them in the first dimension, which may work for your case.

As for performance:

My numpy code is a bit slower than using python lists, if you add
elements one at a time, and the elements are a standard python data
type. It should use less memory though, if that matters.

If you add the data in big enough chunks, my method gets better performance.

> Ultimately I'm trying to build a tvtk unstructured grid to view in a
> Traits/tvtk/Mayavi app.

I'd love to see that working, once you've got it!

 > The grid is ni*nj*nk cells with 8 xyz's per cell
> (hexahedral cell with 6 faces). However some cells are inactive and
> therefore don't have geometry. Cells also have "connectivity" to other
> cells, usually to adjacent cells (e.g. cell i,j,k connected to cell
> i-1,j,k) but not always.

I'm confused now -- what does the array need to look like in the end? Maybe:

  ni*nj*nk X 8 X 3  ?

How is inactive indicated?

Is the connectivity somehow in the same array, or is that stored separately?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov