[Numpy-discussion] Building Numpy Windows Superpack

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Fri Mar 5 00:08:48 EST 2010

Patrick Marsh wrote:

> I've hacked the pavement script to check for the version of python I'm
> using to build with and have it use MinGW for versions Python 2.5 and
> earlier and MSVC for Python 2.6 and later.  I hope to install MSVC7.1
> tomorrow...if I can find my disks.  Then I should be able to build
> entirely with MSVC.  I'm assuming we want to build the official binaries
> using the same tools for both Python 2.5 and Python 2.6?

Yes, no binary should be built with MSVC. They all should be built with
mingw, unless we have to (which has not happened on 32 bits so far).

>      >
>      > Okay, I had been removing the build and dist directories but didn't
>      > realize I needed to remove the numpy directory in the site-packages
>      > directory.  Deleting this last directory fixed the "matrix"
>     issues and
>      > I'm now left with the two failures.  The latter failure doesn't
>     seem to
>      > really be an issue to me and the first one is the same error that
>     Ralf
>      > posted earlier - so for Python 2.5, I've got it working.  However,
>      > Python 2.6.4 still freezes on the test suite.  I'll have to look more
>      > into this today, but for reference, has anyone successfully built
>     Numpy
>      > from the 1.4.x branch, on Windows 7, using Python 2.6.4?
>
>     This is almost always a problem with the C runtime. Those are a big PITA
>     to debug/understand/fix. You built this with Mingw, right ? The first
>     thing to check is whether you have several C runtimes loaded: you can
>     check this with the problem depends.exe: http://www.dependencywalker.com
>

> I've run the Numpy superpack installer for Python 2.6 built with MinGW
> through the dependency walker.  Unfortunately, outside of checking for
> some extremely obviously things, I'm in way over my head
> in interpreting the output (although, I'd like to learn).  I've put the
> output from the program
> here: http://www.patricktmarsh.com/numpy/20100303.py26.superpack.dependencies.txt.

It does not look like you have several version of the MS runtimes here,
and your SxS configuration has only a few dlls (the SxS is what often
causes trouble on XP/Vista/Windows 7 for python 2.6).

The only thing I can think of would be some weird issue with WoW - you
are running windows 64 bits but with 32 bits python, right ?

> Thanks again for your help.  I've learned a lot the last two weeks about
> the build process.

You're welcome. I hope to be able to look a bit into that issue this WE,

cheers,

David