[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 20 22:54:02 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe handle it in a manner similar to the other sections.
>>>
>>> q,r <> mode = 'r''
>>>     q: [M,N] ndarray
>>>         The columns of 'q' are orthonomal.
>>>     r:  [K,N] ndarray
>>>         Upper triangular array.
>>>
>>> The "<>" standing in for "if". The indentation could be moved out.
>>>
>>> Looks good, but what determines that this is a list, the <>? What if you
>> want a list that does not use if's? If this can be made to work, great, but
>> it will probably be much more robust if there's some kind of markup. Stars
>> or dashes would not look that bad imho if there would be no need for blank
>> lines.
>>

> That was just a suggestion, I think it can probably be improved upon.
> Thoughts?

In general a list should just be defined with *. Like:
* item 1
    * sub-item 1
      Hey, a multi-line sub-item works too!
    * sub-item 2
* item 2

In the specific case of a variable number of return values, I do not like
the if..else construction. How about this:

q : ndarray
    The q-value. If mode='r' this contains ....
    If mode='economic' ....
r : ndarray, optional
    The r-value. Is only returned if mode='r'.

'optional' could be changed to 'conditional' or something like that.

Ralf