[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 00:47:53 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That was just a suggestion, I think it can probably be improved upon.
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> In general a list should just be defined with *. Like:
>> * item 1
>>     * sub-item 1
>>       Hey, a multi-line sub-item works too!
>>     * sub-item 2
>> * item 2
>>

> I really, really want to get rid of the asterisks, they are ugly and
> distracting (IMHO). Unlike dashes, colons, and underlines they aren't part
> of the usual textual repetoire.

but bullets (bullet lists) are, at least in latex and powerpoint, and
asterisks are the ASCI version of bullet points, and all my regular
notes (targeted for wiki markup or rst) use them heavily to structure
lists.

dashes would be also ok, but I don't think rst would recognize them.
My main problem with rst is that it doesn't allow hard line breaks,
which forces some kind of markup to render lists.

But as Ralf's rewrite shows, there is often a way to get around lists.
I only know of a few places in the scipy docs, where list items in the
Parameters or Returns are really necessary.

Josef