[Numpy-discussion] draft release guide

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:38:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Francesc Alted <faltet at pytables.org> wrote:

> Ok.  I've been having a try at mingw-w64 project:
>
> http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/
>
> with no success so far with build numpy:
>
> $ python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32

Oh, it is not that easy :)

First, for some reason, the mingw-w64 project does not provide 64
hosted compilers, and since pushing for mingw cross compilation
support in distutils would redefine the meaning of insanity, I build
my gcc. Since building gcc on windows is not a fun ride either, you
have to build it on unix (I have the scripts on my github account:
github.com/cournape/).

Then, you can hope to build numpy with mingw 64 on windows 64. But
then, it randomly crashes, and last time I looked at it (~ 8 months
ago), there was no gdb support and the mingw debug symbols cannot be
understood by MS tools, so I was stuck at trying to understand what
went wrong without a meaningful backtrace.

I also looked into making gfortran works with MS compiler, but this
means porting libgfortran to something MS compilers can understand.
This is not as crazy as it sounds, because we don't use many fortran
runtime functions in scipy.

Of course, atlas on windows 64 is nowhere near buildable.

cheers,

David