[Numpy-discussion] What does float64 mean on a 32-bit machine?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:47:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:38, reckoner <reckoner at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I have a float64 dtype on a 32-bit machine? For example:

float64 is a 64-bit float on all machines. A "32-bit machine" refers
only to the size of its memory address space and the size of the
integer type used for pointers. It has no effect on floating point
types; 32- and 64-bit versions are standard on all supported platforms
though the higher precisions vary significantly from machine to
machine regardless of whether it is 32- or 64-bit.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco