[Numpy-discussion] numpy.distutils/f2py: forcing 8-bit reals

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Mar 30 16:35:32 EDT 2010

On 30-Mar-10, at 5:02 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:

> Well, you can pass -fdefault-real-8 and then write .pyf headers where
> real(8) is always given explicitly.

Okay, the answer (without setting the F77 environment variable) is
basically to expect real-8's in the .pyf file and compile the whole
package with

python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 --f77flags='-fdefault-
real-8' --f90flags='-fdefault-real-8' build

Still not sure if there's a sane way to make this the default in my
setup.py (I found some old mailing list posts where Pearu suggests
modifying sys.argv but I think this is widely considered a bad idea).
The right way might involve instantiating a GnuF95Compiler object and
messing with its fields or something like that. Anyway, this works for
now.

Thanks,

David