[Numpy-discussion] incremental histogram

denis denis-bz-py at t-online.de
Tue May 4 07:57:30 EDT 2010

On 03/05/2010 16:02, Neal Becker wrote:
> I have coded in c++ a histogram object that can be used as:
>
> h += my_sample
>
> or
>
> h += my_vector
>
> This is very useful in simulations which are looping and developing results
> incrementally.  It would me great to have such a feature in numpy.

Neal,
   I like the idea of a faster np.histogram / histogramdd;
but it would have to be compatible with numpy and pylab
or at least a clear, documented subset (doc first).

Some Wibnis, wouldn't it be nice ifs, for WibniHistogram:
- gui with realtime zoom / upsample / smooth: must exist, physicists ?
- adaptive binning, e.g. percentiles then uniform
- interpolate: fill holes, then *linear or spline

+= data is nice, but seems orthogonal to histogramming --
why not just subclass histogram ?

cheers
   -- denis