[Numpy-discussion] Introduction to Scott, Jason, and (possibly) others from Enthought

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue May 25 18:06:20 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good, but what if it doesn't get finished in a few months? I think we
> should get 2.0.0 out pronto, ideally it would already have been released. I
> think a major refactoring like this proposal should get the 3.0.0 label.

Naming it 3.0 or 2.1 does not matter much - I think we should avoid
breaking things twice. I can see a few solutions:
  - postpone 2.0 "indefinitely", until this new work is done
  - backport py3k changes to 1.5 (which would be API and ABI
compatible with 1.4.1), and 2.0 would contain all the breaking
changes.

I am really worried about breaking things once now and once in a few
months (or even a year).

David