[Numpy-discussion] curious about how people would feel about moving to github

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed May 26 23:08:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

This is very well said and true to our recent experience with nipy and ipython:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython
http://github.com/nipy/nipy

> My
> experience with a small project has been that anyone who wants to make
> major changes just clones the repository on github and makes the
> changes; then we email the main author to ask him to pull particular
> branches into the main repo. It works well enough.

That's the model we've gone for in nipy and ipython too.  We wrote it
up in a workflow doc project.  Here are the example docs giving the
git workflow for ipython:

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/mb312/gitwash/

and in particular:

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/mb312/gitwash/development_workflow.html