[Numpy-discussion] curious about how people would feel about moving to github

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu May 27 05:10:59 EDT 2010

On 27 May 2010 00:43, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, not quite. They can't commit to the main repository. I think the main
> thing is to be responsive: fast review, quick commit. And quick to offer
> commit rights to anyone who sends in more that a couple of decent patches.

At the moment, giving a developer commit access is a nebulous process;
not exactly encouraging.

I agree with you when you say that we should commit to doing reviews,
not to let patches languish, etc.  But on top of that, I believe that
we should make this easy, inviting and fun; a big part of that is
finding the right tool for the job.

Remember those days when Trac was horribly broken?  That certainly
made hacking unpleasant.  We upgraded and reconfigured, and now issue
tracking is a lot more palatable.   Even more painfully, we'll soon be
heading for a series of big merges (numpy core refactor); who wants to
do those using SVN?

Regards
Stéfan