[Numpy-discussion] Developmental version numbering with git

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 16:17:54 EST 2010

Hi,

> Since the change to git the numpy version in setup.py is '2.0.0.dev'
> regardless because the prior numbering was determined by svn.
>
> Is there a plan to add some numbering system to numpy developmental version?
>
> Regardless of the answer, the 'numpy/numpy/version.py' will need to
> changed because of the reference to the svn naming.

In case it's useful, we (nipy) went for a scheme where the version
number stays as '2.0.0.dev', but we keep a record of what git commit
has we are on - described here:

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/AW2a1CzoOZtfBfNav9hd

I can post more details of the implementation if it's of any interest,

Best,

Matthew