[Numpy-discussion] Anyone with Core i7 and Ubuntu 10.04?

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Mon Nov 8 20:52:09 EST 2010

Hi Ian,

On 11/08/2010 11:18 PM, Ian Goodfellow wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully built numpy with ATLAS
> and a Core i7 CPU on Ubuntu 10.04. If so, I could really use your
> help. I've been trying since August (see my earlier messages to this
> list) to get numpy running at full speed on my machine with no luck.

Please tell us what error you got - saying that something did not
working is really not useful to help you. You need to say exactly what
fails, and which steps you followed before that failure.

> The Ubuntu packages don't seem very fast, and numpy won't use the
> version of ATLAS that I compiled. It's pretty sad; anything that
> involves a lot of BLAS calls runs slower on this 2.8 ghz Core i7 than
> on an older 2.66 ghz Core 2 Quad I use at work.

One simple solution is to upgrade to ubuntu 10.10, which has finally a
working atlas package, thanks to the work of the debian packagers. There
is a version compiled for i7,

cheers,

David