[Numpy-discussion] Merging the refactor.

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Thu Nov 11 19:36:00 EST 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:08:55 +0000, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
[clip]
> The first step I would like to see is to re-graft the teoliphant branch
> onto the current Git history -- currently, it's still based on Git-SVN.
> Re-grafting would make incremental merging and tracking easier. Luckily,
> this is easy to do thanks to Git's data model (I have a script for it),
> and I believe it could be useful to do it ASAP.

This needs to be added to the --parent-filter in the script, though:

	s/-p b629b740c9fb4685c5fd3d822efec8250d556ad4/-p 9ea50db4b5ca3a26c05cf4df364fa40f873da545/;

so that it attaches the dangling datetime commits to the correct place.

After this, "git rebase" of the changes in master onto the refactor branch
seems to proceed reasonably. Based on a quick try, I got to 24 of 214 commits
in ~ two hours, so I'd guess it'd take a few days at most to merge the changes
to this direction. The conflicts don't seem too bad. The main annoyance is that in
some cases (mainly the *.src files) Git fails to notice partial content moves,
and generates big conflicts that need to be resolved by applying patches manually
to libndarray/src/* instead of numpy/core/src/*.

We probably won't want to do the merge by rebasing like this, though.

The main technical question in the merging seem to be then if it's possible
to rewrite the refactoring history to group changes to bigger logical chunks that
would be easier to eyeball over and nicer to present to the posterity. Anyway,
things are looking good  :)

--
Pauli Virtanen