[Numpy-discussion] A faster median (Wirth's method)

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 14:35:01 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM, John Salvatier
<jsalvati at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I am very interested in this result. I have wanted to know how to do an

My first thought was to write the reducing function like this

cdef np.float64_t namean(np.ndarray[np.float64_t, ndim=1] a):

but cython doesn't allow np.ndarray in a cdef.

That's why the ticket (URL earlier in the thread) uses a (the?) buffer
interface to the array. The particular example in the ticket is not a
reducing function, it works on the data in place. We can change that.

I can set up a sandbox in the Bottleneck project if anyone (John!) is
interested in working on this. I plan to get a first (preview) release
out soon and then take a break. The first project for the second
release is this; second project is templating. Then the third release
is just turning the crank and adding more functions.