[Numpy-discussion] Commit rights on github

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Oct 12 03:02:43 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:37 AM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> In that case, a way to avoid this mistake is to do the following:
>
>   * make changes on your own git repository clone
>   * once you have a set of changesets of commits, first update your
> branch from upstream (a bit like svn up) with git pull: at that point,
> git will try to merge your changes and upstream changes if there are
> divergences. You could also use the --rebase option of git pull, with
> the usual rebase caveats w.r.t. changes

Now might be a good time to discuss how we'd like the history to look
in a year from now.  If we follow the above approach, I guess we may
end up with one merge message for each small little bug-fix? (Unless
--rebase is used)  How do we ensure that "fast-forward" merges occur
whenever possible?

Regards
Stéfan