[Numpy-discussion] Development workflow

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Tue Oct 12 05:58:07 EDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 06:48 PM, Pierre GM wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>>
>> I think the only possible lesson that might be drawn is that it
>> probably would have helped you as it has certainly helped me, to have
>> someone scan the set of changes and comment - as part of the workflow.
>
> That, and a nice set of instructions...
>
> Till I'm at it, would there be anybody patient to hold my hand and tell me how to backport changes from one branch to another ?

This is easy:

1. go into the target branch
2. git cherry-pick commit_to_backport

The -x option to cherry-pick may be used to mention the original commit
message in the backported one. By default, cherry-pick commits for you
(you can use -n to avoid auto-committing).

> Corollary: how do I branch from a branch ?

You use the branch command:

git branch target_branch source_branch

But generally, if you want to create a new branch to start working on
it, you use the -b option of checkout:

git branch -b target_branch source_branch

which is equivalent to

git branch target_branch source_branch
git checkout target_branch

cheers,