[Numpy-discussion] Development workflow

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Tue Oct 12 09:51:34 EDT 2010

Lots of good reading :) Just thought I'd put a plug in for the
contributor that may make only a few contributions and needs a simple
workflow to do so. It would be great if they could just..
make there own fork
clone the branch of interest
make changes
push to there own fork
request pull.

I think part of the point of moving to git was to make these types of
contributions easier. Ideally there would be instructions here
http://www.numpy.org/

Vincent

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:48:07 +0200, Pierre GM wrote:
> [clip]
>> Till I'm at it, would there be anybody patient to hold my hand and tell
>> me how to backport changes from one branch to another?
>
> I do it like this:
>
>        # create a local branch for integrating backports
>        # needs to be done only once -- just reuse it afterwards
>        git branch upstream/maintenance/1.5.x maintenance/1.5.x
>
> After that, things go like this
>
>        # switch to the local backport integration branch
>        git checkout maintenance/1.5.x
>
>        # ensure it's up-to-date vs upstream
>        git pull --rebase
>
>        # figure out what patches to get
>        git log upstream/master
>
>        # shameless plug: github.com/pv/git-cherry-tree
>        git cherry-tree upstream/master
>
>        # cherry pick patches
>        git cherry-pick -x ad390f0fa
>
>        # test, just to be sure
>
>        # push the local branch upstream
>        git push upstream maintenance/1.5.x
>
>> There are just
>> some minor changes in the current master/numpy/ma/core.py that could go
>> to maintenance/1.5.x/numpy/ma/core.py. Corollary: how do I branch from a
>> branch?
>
>        git branch old_branch new_branch
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen