[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Tue Oct 12 12:45:32 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Ralf Gommers
>> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Friedrich,

>> > That would be very helpful, thanks. Please keep me up to date on your
>> > progress with the 10.5 license, and once you are set up we can
>> > coordinate
>> > building the binaries.

>> > The toolchain you need is documented at
>> > http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/MakingReleases. If you have all the
>> > dependencies it's simply a matter of
>> >   $ paver dmg -p 2.5   (or 2.6/7)
>> > and a dmg installer is built.
>>
>> Is there any reason 10.5 server addition would not work for building
>> release ?
>>
>> Friedrich, you can't just install 10.5 (non server) on vmware. I just
>> tried, It responds This is not a server addition. There are hacks
>> but...
>>
>> I'll try to do a few testes this week., Where does
>> "numpy-macosx-installer "
>> http://github.com/cournape/numpy-macosx-installer fit in to running
>> this command. "paver dmg -p 2.5" or does it?
>
> This now lives under tools/numpy-macosx-installer in the git repo, so that
> is not an external dependency anymore.
>

>> I have installed from
>> source many times but never built a dmg.
>> Is there any interest in a current Dev snapshot dmg?
>
> Probably not. The master branch is not binary compatible with scipy. But
> 1.5.1rc1 is planned for this coming Sunday, so that would be useful to have
> a 10.5 binary of.

Ok, Friedrich and I are working on setting up a machine for building
on 10.5 and hope (I do)  to have that going for 1.5.1rc1
I hope to do a 10.6 for 1.5rc1 also.

>> And how about a numpy scipy combo dmg?
>
> Not sure if that's a very good way to spend your time, what's wrong with
> separate installers? The release cycles are not synchronized, so this would
> just be extra work.

Or a learning experience :-) which is always work.

Thanks
Vincent

>> A little bit of a separate issue, does the build bot  or so,ething/one
>> other than developers run numpy.test() to monitor test that may fail
>> on different systems, as numpy scipy, python get updated.
>
> It does, just go to Waterfall display, then click one of the "stdio" links
> to see test results.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>

>> It seems
>> like a bot could build everything from source weekly and commit a test
>> log via git/github  to monitor and record the condition and changes in
>> tests. Maybe there is no point to this, just sound like a neat way to
>> track test results.

Thanks
Vincent Davis
720-301-3003