[Numpy-discussion] Another merge at github

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 01:23:46 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm thinking along those lines, but I'm just a dilettante git user. I
>>> tend to merge master to my development branches, merge them back to master,
>>> and then push master to github. That probably isn't the recommended way.
>>> Rebase would probably have the same effect.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>> I think the iPython development mailing list recently had a long
>> discussion about proper git usage.  Maybe there is something we can learn
>> from their experience?
>>

> IIRC, they recommended pushing from local branches to master on github and
> not merging master to the development branches. That doesn't sound right to
> me, but perhaps I misunderstood...

And I just managed the same result on a push to maintenance/1.5.x :-/ But I
know how it happened, I cherry picked from master for a backport before
updating the 1.5.x branch from github. In Retrospect I probably should have
reset the head, pulled from 1.5.x, and then reapplied the backport. Live and
learn.

Chuck